Black Hat 2012 Europe Releases Event Schedule, Session Highlights
World's Leading Information Security Event Welcomes Top Infosec Researchers to Stage
Feb 17, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --Today, Black Hat Europe, produced by UBM TechWeb, has announced that the schedule for the 2012 Amsterdam event is now live. Black Hat Europe 2012 will welcome top security researchers to take the stage including David Litchfield, Chris Wysopal, Felix 'FX' Lindner, Rafal Los, Shane MacDougall, and Shreeraj Shah. Black Hat Europe 2012 is expected to host high-level security professionals for the most timely, actionable security presentations of the year. Black Hat is the world's biggest and most important family of information security events, and its European edition is taking place March 14-16, 2012 at the NH Grand Krasnapolsky Hotel in Amsterdam. For more information and to sign up for early-bird registration by February 29, visit https://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-eu-12/bh-eu-12-home.html.
Here are a few choice picks from Black Hat Europe 2012's dozens-strong schedule of briefings, trainings, and special events:
- Felix 'FX' Lindner, founder, technical and research lead at Recurity Labs GmbH presents "Apple vs. Google Client Platforms", where he will delve into the similarities and differences in the approaches Apple and Google take on their iPad and Chromebook client platforms. From security architecture to what powers they grant to attackers through fails in logic, binary, and HTML, FX compares the practices of these two industry heavyweights.
- David Litchfield, esteemed Oracle hacker, returns to present "An Assortment of Database Goodies" at Black Hat Europe. He's found a number of new exploits and security weaknesses in Oracle Database Server, and he'll be giving demonstrations on exploiting them to gain DBA privileges.
- Threat modeling is typically a defensive, anticipatory action, but in Offensive Threat Modeling for Attackers - Turning Threat Modeling on its Head, Rafal Los, Enterprise and Cloud Security Strategist for Hewlett-Packard, and Shane MacDougall, Principal Partner at Tactical Intelligence, will show how offensive threat modeling can give attackers a powerful new weapon. Unorthodox tactics are the name of their game, with a focus on the key concepts of Posture, Position, and Predisposition. Social engineering, misdirection, employee home network attacks, reverse honeypots, and psychological profiling.
- Shreeraj Shah, Blueinfy founder, will present his new talk and paper, "HTML5: Top 10 Threats, Stealth Attacks, and Silent Exploits", in which he'll walk you through the new technology's architectures, attack surfaces, and possible threats. From clickjacking and phishing via mixed layers and iframes to abusing thick client features, Shreeraj will present how to plan a defense, as well as some new tricks for scanning for HTML5 vulnerabilities.
- Chris Wysopal, of Veracode and L0pht infamy examines which industries write the most secure code-- and the least. Using static binary analysis on thousands of apps of all stripes Chris created an anonymized vulnerability data set that determines the relative security of internally built apps, open source, commercial software, and outsourcers. In his session, "Data Mining a Mountain of Zero Day Vulnerabilities", Chris will candidly answer the question: Who succeeds—and who fails?
"The sessions outlined above are just a fraction of the myriad and varied briefings, trainings, workshops, and special events planned for Black Hat Europe 2012," says Black Hat Content Director Travis Carelock. "It's great to be back in Amsterdam after our two year vacation in Barcelona. We've re-tooled this year's event to focus more heavily on the conference Briefings and to really feature the informative, timely research Black Hat is known for."
The Black Hat Briefings are a series of highly technical information security conferences that bring together thought leaders from all facets of the infosec world – from the corporate and government sectors to academic and even underground researchers. The environment is strictly vendor-neutral and focused on the sharing of practical insights and timely, actionable knowledge. Black Hat remains the best and biggest event of its kind, unique in its ability to define tomorrow's information security landscape. Black Hat Europe 2012 will be held March 14-16 at the NH Grand Krasnapolsky Hotel in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Black Hat USA will convene July 21-26, 2012, at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada. For more information visit www.blackhat.com.
About Black Hat
Black Hat provides briefings and training to leading corporations and government agencies around the world. Black Hat differentiates itself by working at many levels within the corporate, government, and underground communities. This unmatched informational reach enables Black Hat attendees to be continuously aware of the newest vulnerabilities, defense mechanisms, and industry trends. Black Hat Briefings and Trainings are held annually in Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, and Las Vegas. Black Hat is produced by UBM TechWeb. More information is available at http://www.blackhat.com.
About UBM TechWeb
UBM TechWeb, the global leader in technology media and professional information, enables people and organizations to harness the transformative power of technology. Through its three core businesses – media solutions, marketing services and paid content – UBM TechWeb produces the most respected and consumed brands and media applications in the technology market. More than 14.5 million business and technology professionals (CIOs and IT managers, Web & Digital professionals, Software Developers, Government decision makers, and Telecom providers) actively engage in UBM TechWeb's communities and information resources monthly. UBM TechWeb brands include: global face-to-face events such as Interop, Web 2.0, Black Hat and Enterprise Connect; award-winning online resources such as InformationWeek, Dark Reading, and Network Computing; and market-leading magazines InformationWeek, Wall Street & Technology, and Advanced Trading. UBM TechWeb is a UBM plc. company, a global provider of news distribution and specialist information services with a market capitalization of more than $2.5 billion.
SOURCE UBM TechWeb
For further information: Natalia Wodecki, Black Hat Communications Director, email@example.com