UBM Tech's DESIGN West Announces 2013 Keynotes and New Learning Formats
All-Star Keynotes Include Luke Dubord of NASA's Mars Curiosity Rover team; Mayim Bialik, Actress & Neuroscientist; and Hugh Herr of the MIT Media Lab Biomechatronics Research Group
Jan 24, 2013
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Tech, the daily source of essential business and technical information for the electronics industry's decision makers, today announced the keynote line-up and new learning formats for DESIGN West, the annual technical conference and expo for electronics design engineers, entrepreneurs, and technology professionals who create products with electronic content. Held in the heart of Silicon Valley at the McEnery Convention Center April 22-25, 2013, DESIGN West is where the world's top design engineers and product developers gather and learn, gain inspiration, and get practical information and hands-on training they can put to immediate use. View Video.
"As the only technical conference and expo for the global electronics industry, DESIGN West delivers essential education, information and networking opportunities to help engineers bring new products to market and accelerate technology sales," said Karen Field, Content Director, Electronics of UBM Tech. "We have a remarkable lineup of industry visionaries to keynote the event and new learning formats designed to provide engineers with practical, relevant information that they can put to immediate use. We look forward to providing attendees with the information they need to create their designs and bring them to market quickly."
In honor of the 25th anniversary of the Embedded Systems Conference, DESIGN West celebrates the generation of engineers, companies, and events that fueled a revolution in electronics and product development that continues apace today. "Many have been with us since the beginning of the Embedded Systems Conference and many more have joined us along the way," said Karen Field. "Over the next 25 years, we look forward to partnering with the people and companies who will lead the next innovation wave."
The all-star keynote line-up includes:
- On Tuesday, April 23 at 10:30 a.m. Luke Dubord, Avionics System Engineer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory will present. Dubord is currently the cross cutting infrastructure and autonomous fault protection lead on the Mars Science Laboratory mission.
- On Wednesday, April 24 at 10:30 a.m. Mayim Bialik, Actress & Neuroscientist will present. Bialik made a name for herself in the entertainment business while at the same time developing a fascinating career in neuroscience, very similar to her Big Bang Theory character.
- On Thursday, April 25 at 10:30 a.m. Hugh Herr will present. Herr heads the Biomechatronics research group at the MIT Media Lab and focuses on developing physically assistive technologies that will be intimate extensions of the human body—structurally, neurologically, and dynamically.
In addition to the comprehensive educational conference agenda, DESIGN West offers engineers, product developers and business managers hands-on experience with the newest electronics technologies from more than 300 vendors, including ATMEL, Intel, Kontron, Microchip, Renasas, Rohde & Schwarz.
The new learning formats include:
- From Napkin Sketch to Shenzhen: A new interactive learning format presented in a case study/demo format presented by engineers directly involved in product development. They will cover topics spanning the product design cycle - from concept through to manufacturing over the three days of DESIGN. Each session takes a deep dive into the diabolical challenges and trade-offs inherent in all engineering work, focusing on how engineers overcame obstacles and brought their ideas to life.
- Hands On Speed Training: Engineers rank hands-on training as among the most valuable learning experiences. Hands on Speed Training offers attendees a chance to share knowledge and resources to build the best gadget — in 60 minutes or less. Each hour, up to thirty participants, receive a brief training on a new development board provided by the sponsoring company, then go to work to create their gadget using their ingenuity and an assortment of parts provided to them.
- Tech Fundamentals: These interactive training sessions give engineers the fundamentals of building holistic platforms and complete solutions. They are designed for engineers who are new to embedded or want an introduction to specific areas outside of their core expertise. Offered as practical sessions they are delivered in a tutorial format, which covers the basics of how to incorporate embedded control and peripherals into designs and the related skills and processes required to bring an embedded design to life. Ten to 15 topics will be covered over the three days of DESIGN West.
DESIGN West sponsors to date include platinum sponsor Microchip and Gold Sponsors Intel and Rohde & Schwarz. View exhibitors: http://fp37.a2zinc.net/clients/fpubm/DesignWest2013/public/fp.aspx
DESIGN West registration is now open at https://designwest.reg.ubmelectronics.com/2013/?cid=pr1
If you would like to register as an analyst or media, please email email@example.com
For more information on sponsorship, contact Will Wise at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.947.6252.
Follow the News
Follow DESIGN West news via Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ubmdesign
Follow DESIGN West news via Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/UBM-Design/207402329339654
Held in key strategic technology development locations worldwide, UBM Tech's DESIGN events are the global electronics industry's leading gatherings. With cutting edge product demonstrations, visionary speeches and hundreds of essential technical training classes and accreditation opportunities, DESIGN is the ideal venue for the electronics engineering community to learn, collaborate and recognize excellence. UBM Tech's DESIGN events cater to the extremely technical, higher-learning needs of the world's top engineers while providing an unprecedented forum for the examination of the industry's pressing business challenges. In addition, DESIGN West celebrates decades of unique local electronics industry culture, innovation and Silicon Valley's significant contributions to the global technology industry.
About UBM Tech
UBM Tech is a global media business that provides information, events, training, data services, and marketing solutions for the technology industry. Its media brands and information services inform and inspire decision makers across the entire technology market— engineers and design professionals, software and game developers, solutions providers and integrators, networking and communications executives, and business technology professionals. UBM Tech's industry-leading media brands include EE Times, Interop, Black Hat, InformationWeek, Game Developer Conference, CRN, and DesignCon. The company's information products include research, education, training, and data services that accelerate decision making for technology buyers. UBM Tech also offers a full range of marketing services based on its content and technology market expertise, including custom events, content marketing solutions, community development and demand generation programs. UBM Tech is a part of UBM (UBM.L), a global provider of media and information services with a market capitalization of more than $2.5 billion.
For more information, go to www.ubm.com; follow us at @UBM_plc to get the latest UBM news.
For more information on DESIGN West 2013 or UBM Tech please contact:
Linda Uslaner, UBM Tech
516-562-5843 | email@example.com
SOURCE UBM Tech