UBM Tech Research Shows Peers Are Leading Source For IT Content
86% Of Tech Professionals Say Peers Are Most Relied Upon Information Source
Feb 19, 2014
SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Tech unveiled "Content Connects Peers," a research report that provides insight into how business technology professionals consume content, and how content influences their technology purchasing decisions. The goal of the research is to help technology marketers understand the optimal format and delivery of content for their customers.
The survey of almost 250 business technology professionals revealed that industry peers are the most valuable and most relied upon source for information.
"We've been studying how technology professionals consume content for years and have noticed a big jump in the value of peer insight for technology purchase decisions," said Amy Doherty, Research Director, UBM Tech. "It's critical that marketers develop content in the right format for their customer's needs, as well as ensure that content assets are delivered from a source that understands their pain points."
Highlights from the report include:
- Respondents named technical information, technology news and analysis, and insights from peers as the three most important types of information
- Respondents use an average of eight types of information formats or sources to get information for their jobs
- 88% say that business technology-related information needs to be current or timely with 63% of IT buyers that only consider information useful if it's less than 18 months old
- Webinars are the most popular format for receiving information, 75% use webinars for their job
- 60% visited a vendor website for more information after reading a research report; 54% after reading a white paper
- 12% have based a product or tech purchase decision on information learned from an advertisement in a digital magazine
- 72% of business technology buyers agree that vendor or tech company information is very useful and they use it frequently
About UBM Tech
UBM Tech is a global media business that brings together the world's technology communities through live events, online properties and custom services. UBM Tech's community-focused approach provides its users and clients with expertly curated research, education, training, community advocacy, user-generated content and peer-to-peer engagement opportunities that serve the Electronics, Security, Enterprise IT and Communications, Network Infrastructure and Applications, Game and App Developers, and Tech Marketing communities. UBM Tech's brands include Black Hat, DesignCon, EE Times, Enterprise Connect, Game Developers Conference (GDC), HDI, InformationWeek, and Interop. Create, a UBM Tech full range marketing services division, includes custom events, content marketing solutions, community development and demand generation programs based on its content and technology market expertise. UBM Tech is a part of UBM (UBM.L), a global provider of media and information services with a market capitalization of more than $2.5 billion. For more information, go to tech.ubm.com.
SOURCE UBM Tech