Hacks of Mobile Devices, Cellular Networks, Internet of Things, Industrial Systems, and Leading Operating Systems Among Research Topics Announced for Black Hat Europe 2016
Early Registration Ends This Friday, September 2 -- Register Now to Save €300 on Briefings Pass
Sep 1, 2016
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Black Hat, the world's leading family of information security events, announces the first 30+ high intensity talks on the lineup for its upcoming conference in London. Returning to Europe for its 16th year, Black Hat will welcome the world's brightest information security professionals and researchers to reveal a number of brand new vulnerabilities (and defenses) that impact everything from popular operating systems to the mobile devices and industrial systems we rely on every day.
Black Hat Europe 2016 will run November 1-4 at the Business Design Centre, in London, England. For more information and to save €300 on your Briefings Pass by this Friday, September 2, please visit blackhat.com/eu-16/.
Heading to London this November – a buzzing tech hub for Europe, and home to many InfoSec solution providers, researchers and professionals - Black Hat will host the community for what is sure to be a jam-packed week of learning and networking. Kicking off with two days of intensely technical Trainings followed by two thought-provoking days led by the infamous Black Hat Briefings on stage and a dynamic Business Hall, attendees will experience a lineup packed with the latest InfoSec insights from all corners of the world.
A few highlights of Black Hat Briefings selected so far include:
- Mobile and Cellular Vulnerabilities, from cache side-channel attacks on ARM that allow for silent monitoring and tracking of users; remote exploitation of OAuth that can allowing the attacker to sign into a victim's mobile app account without any involvement from the victim; attacks on the LTE network; and even exploitation of Broadcom, Qualcomm and Mediatek's implementation of Wireless-Extensions (WEXT)…to name a few!
- Breaking the Internet of Things, from popular home automation systems including Belkin's WeMo device and mobile application, to the vulnerabilities found in the most recent marketing tracking innovation used by some of the world's biggest retailers - ultrasonic cross-device tracking (uXDT) - where as it turns out, customers often can't even opt-out.
- Exploit Development and Defense, including a new technique dubbed, flip feng shui, that can induce Rowhammer bit flips over memory used by another virtual machine (VM) on the same host, ultimately corrupting the page cache of a victim VM hosting RSA public keys.
- New Approaches to Reverse Engineering beyond attempting to decompile code. The researchers will seek to undo the work of the linker and produce re-locatable files, and after demoing various tricks and exploits, the techniques via the Wichcraft Compiler Collection will be released as proper open source software.
- Smart Grid and Industrial Security Research, such as a novel attack against Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) that are used to control the physical processes of critical infrastructures, as well as new research on how to fool ADC systems, looking at attack scenarios in the areas of ICS, embedded and radio-frequency systems.
Be sure to check back for the latest Briefings schedule as they're added, here: blackhat.com/eu-16/briefings/schedule/index.html.
Black Hat Trainings
Register by THIS Friday and Save €200
In addition to the world-class Briefings schedule, Black Hat Europe 2016 will offer deeply technical hands-on Training sessions led by some of the most sought after security experts in the field. Running November 1-2, the Trainings offer a separate set of courses for attendees on everything from offensive and defensive enterprise hacking tactics to infrastructure and SCADA system exploits, mobile application penetration testing and even a beginners course for those new to the field – to name a few! For more information and to save €200 on your selected course(s) with early registration prices by THIS Friday, September 2, visit: blackhat.com/eu-16/training/index.html.
Black Hat Student Scholarships
Submission Deadline: Sept. 30
The Black Hat Student Scholarship Program is back for it's third year in Europe. As a way to introduce the next generation of security professionals to the Black Hat community, a limited number of complimentary Academic Passes will be awarded to student applicants for Black Hat Europe 2016. Qualified students may submit applications by Friday, September 30, 2016. For more information and requirements, visit: blackhat.com/eu-16/student-scholarship.html.
Top Sponsors of Black Hat Europe 2016 include: Diamond Sponsors: Cylance, Navigant, Qualys and Raytheon Foreground Security; Platinum Sponsors: BooleServer, iboss Cybersecurity, NCC Group, Palo Alto Networks, SentinelOne, and Tenable Network Security,
- For more information on sponsorship opportunities as well as the full list of exhibiting companies, visit: blackhat.com/eu-16/business-hall.html.
Future Black Hat Dates and Events
- Black Hat Europe 2016, Business Design Centre, London, England, November 1-4, 2016
- Black Hat Asia 2017, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore, March 28-31, 2017
- Black Hat USA 2017, Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, NV, July 22-27, 2017
About Black Hat
For more than 19 years, Black Hat has provided attendees with the very latest in information security research, development, and trends. These high-profile global events and trainings are driven by the needs of the security community, striving to bring together the best minds in the industry. Black Hat inspires professionals at all career levels, encouraging growth and collaboration among academia, world-class researchers, and leaders in the public and private sectors. Black Hat Briefings and Trainings are held annually in the United States, Europe and Asia. More information is available at: blackhat.com. Black Hat is organized by UBM Americas, a part of UBM plc (UBM.L), an Events First marketing and communications services business. For more information, visit ubmamericas.com.
SOURCE Black Hat
For further information: Black Hat Public Relations, BlackHatPR@ubm.com