Black Hat Europe 2017 Announces First Briefings: Hacks Spanning Mobile, Banking, Smart Grid, IoT, Medical Devices and More
Register Now Through Friday, October 6 to Save €300 on Briefings Pass
Oct 5, 2017
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 5, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Black Hat, the world's leading producer of information security events, announces its return to London with its initial release of Briefings. The event, in its 16th year, will bring together the world's brightest information security professionals and researchers revealing new vulnerabilities (and defenses) spanning everything from widely used banking systems to the mobile devices, smart grids and medical devices we rely on every day.
Black Hat Europe 2017 will take place December 4-7 at the EXCEL London, in London, England. For more information and to save €300 on your Briefings Pass by Friday, October 6 please visit blackhat.com/eu-17/
Returning to London this December – a home to some of Europe's largest InfoSec solution providers, researchers and professionals – Black Hat Europe will host a week of immersive programming aimed towards providing the latest InfoSec research, development, and trends. The event will commence with two days of intensely technical Trainings followed by two days of Black Hat's infamous Briefings, and a Business Hall buzzing with today's leading innovators. Attendees will be introduced to content spanning the industry's most pressing topics affecting various parts of the world.
Highlights of Black Hat Europe's Briefings so far:
- Smart Grid and Industrial Security Vulnerabilities, including a demo of how to defend against an attack on an air-gapped network with autonomous, self-directed malware - similar to the CrashOverride malware used in the 2016 Ukrainian grid attack. Another talk will cover breaking the security wall of the S7CommPlus protocol – which was implemented following the exploitation of the communication protocol used between Siemens Simatic S7 PLCs to cause serious damage to nuclear power facilities.
- Banking and Payment System Threats, with a talk exploring notorious APT groups from North Korea, infamous for deconstruction, cyber heist and espionage attacks, and how they are becoming more aggressive with links to the WannaCry ransomware attack and current operations targeting banks in Europe, South Korea and more. Additional Briefings will explore vulnerabilities in Samsung's mobile payment service, SamsungPay, as well as a demonstration on how criminals might rob a bank over the phone with the use of specialized reverse engineering tactics.
- Internet of Things Attacks, from risks associated with connected healthcare devices that expose patients to physical harm and allow access to various medical records, to compromising Z-Wave, a major communication protocol for home automation systems- in order to remotely take control of individual devices as well as a full network.
- Platform and Applied Security Research, attendees will learn how a Mainframe, used for wire transfers, ATM withdrawals, flight booking, etc., can be compromised to impersonate other users. Another briefing will focus on using Wi-Fi vulnerabilities to attack Android devices, HP printers, Samsung Smart TVs and more.
- Mobile threats, such as a key reinstallation attack that is especially harmful to Android 6.0 and Chromium, and a look at airborne attacks and the exploits found in the Bluetooth stacks of Linux, Android, Windows, and iOS. Another talk will explore DIFUZE, a python based interface-aware fuzzing framework that has been used to find more than 30 zero-days in seven modern android phones, including the Google Pixel XL.
Be sure to check back for the latest schedule as more Briefings are added, here: blackhat.com/eu-17/briefings/schedule/index.html
ANNOUNCED: Black Hat Arsenal Tools
Arsenal will return to Black Hat Europe and welcome independent researchers, both local and from afar, from the open source community to display their latest tools and products and offer live demonstrations. Arsenal gives researchers the opportunity to showcase their latest code and offers attendees the chance to interact with presenters and gain hands-on experience. Arsenal will host more than 40 tools this year covering Android, iOS and mobile hacking, Internet of Things, Cryptography and more. For more information and to view all recently selected tools, please visit: http://www.blackhat.com/eu-17/arsenal/schedule/index.html.
Black Hat Trainings: Register by THIS Friday and Save €300
In addition to the world-class Briefings schedule, Black Hat Europe 2017 will offer deeply technical, hands-on Training sessions led by some of the information security industry's top trainers and professionals. Running December 4-5, the Trainings offer a separate set of courses for attendees spanning everything from advanced infrastructure hacking to enterprise defenses, black ops hacking for pentesters, crypto attacks and more. For more information and to save €300 on your selected course(s) with early registration prices by this Friday, October 6, visit: blackhat.com/eu-17/training/schedule/index.html.
Black Hat Student Scholarships: Submission Deadline: October 27
The Black Hat Student Scholarship Program is back for its fourth year in Europe. As a way to introduce the next generation of security professionals to the Black Hat community, a limited number of complimentary Academic Passes will be awarded to student applicants for Black Hat Europe 2017. Qualified students may submit applications by Friday, October 27, 2017. For more information and requirements, visit: blackhat.com/eu-17/student-scholarship.html
Top Sponsors of Black Hat Europe 2017 include: Diamond Sponsors: Cylance, Nyotron, SecureLink and Spirent Communications; Platinum Sponsors: Cybereason, Fortinet, NCC Group, Neustar, Palo Alto Networks, Qualys, SentinelOne
For more information on sponsorship opportunities as well as the full list of exhibiting companies, visit: blackhat.com/eu-17/business-hall.html
Future Black Hat Dates and Events
- Black Hat Europe 2017, London, England, December 4-7
- Black Hat Asia 2018, Singapore, March 20-23
- Black Hat USA 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 4-9
About Black Hat
For 20 years, Black Hat has provided attendees with the very latest in information security research, development, and trends. These high-profile global events and trainings are driven by the needs of the security community, striving to bring together the best minds in the industry. Black Hat inspires professionals at all career levels, encouraging growth and collaboration among academia, world-class researchers, and leaders in the public and private sectors. Black Hat Briefings and Trainings are held annually in the United States, Europe and Asia. More information is available at: blackhat.com. Black Hat is organized by UBM plc. UBM is the largest pure-play B2B Events organizer in the world. Our 3,750+ people, based in more than 20 countries, serve more than 50 different sectors. Our deep knowledge and passion for these sectors allow us to create valuable experiences which enable our customers to succeed. Please visit www.ubm.com for the latest news and information about UBM.
SOURCE Black Hat
For further information: Kimberly Samra, Black Hat Public Relations, BlackHatPR@ubm.com, 415-947-6362